1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Season the beef with salt.
2. In a large Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat for 3 minutes. Add the beef to the pot in batches and brown on all sides. Set meat aside on a plate. Full cooking will occur later.
3. Add the onions, carrots, mushrooms, and celery to the pot, stirring constantly to scrape up the brown bits, until softened, about 7 minutes. Add the garlic and stir 1 additional minute.
4. Add the tomato paste into the vegetables. Pour in the wine, thyme and bay leaves, stirring until combined. Return the beef to the pot, along with any juices from the plate. The meat should not be completely covered. Bring the liquid to a boil. Once the liquid is boiling, cover with the lid.
5. Place in the oven until the beef is tender, checking at 1 hour and 30 minutes for doneness. Add additional time as needed.